As America's leading pro-Israel lobby, AIPAC works with both Democratic and Republican political leaders to enact public policy that strengthens the vital U.S.-Israel relationship. Over the years, AIPAC members have worked with members of Congress to:
- Keep America and Israel Secure. AIPAC has worked with Congress to ensure that Israel is able to defend itself. The Jewish state needs critical security assistance to remain capable of facing increased threats posed by terrorist groups and those sworn to its destruction.
- Educate a Nation about Iran. For more than 20 years, AIPAC has worked to prevent Iran from gaining a nuclear weapons capability in order to protect the security of the United States and our allies, including Israel. This policy approach led to the construction of a broad sanctions regime that effectively pressured Iran to enter negotiations. We helped establish the bipartisan opposition to the nuclear agreement with Iran and laid a strong foundation for future congressional action.
- Work Together to Achieve Peace. AIPAC supports America’s efforts to help Israel achieve peace with its neighbors. Real peace with all its neighbors has eluded the Jewish state for more than 60 years, but the two times its Arab neighbors have been willing to talk were through direct negotiations supported by the United States. We supported these, and all efforts to achieve peace through direct talks.
- Defend Israeli Citizens From Terrorist's Missiles. AIPAC's efforts have enhanced U.S.-Israel defense cooperation by securing hundreds of millions of dollars each year for key U.S.-Israel defense programs, including the Arrow missile defense system and Iron Dome rocket defense system.
- Ensure Israel's Right to Self-Defense. The delegitimization of Israel and its right to self-defense is constantly in question. Congressional resolutions, letters and statements of support for Israel’s defensive actions in the face of terrorism by groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah have helped send a strong message to the Jewish state's adversaries.
- Secure the U.S. Homeland. Increasing U.S.-Israel Homeland Security cooperation by passing landmark legislation creating an office within the Department of Homeland Security to support joint research and development projects between the United States and key allies, such as Israel.